Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Networking!

In my Marketing class, my professor assigned a project where we have to do a marketing plan. We were given the names of the people in our groups and expected to get together and complete the project. When I was an engineering student, everyone had a general idea of who everyone else was. Even if we didn’t know each other personally there was still some sense of community. When a project was assigned in engineering, everyone just found the members of their group and got the job done. Now that I’m on the business track, I feel like everyone is much more independent. I go to class, look straight ahead, take notes, and leave. When my Marketing professor posted the lists of people who were in each group on TLearn all I saw was names, I had no idea who they are. The only thing I knew about my project group members were their names and the due date for the project is coming up soon! Eventually (today), everyone in my group got together and sorted our project out.

I think the best way to avoid this problem is to start networking early, even if it’s just making a friend in that class to study with, or striking up a conversation with the people around you before class starts. After this experience with Marketing, I’m definitely going to take my own advice and start networking!

No comments:

Post a Comment